Thursday, March 2, 2023

February 2023

 Low month again. Books read:

  • The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue, by V.E. Schwab. Awesomely fun read and unique.
  • No Higher Honor: A Memoir of My Years in Washington, by Condoleezza Rice. Listened on Audible, 29+ hours! But read by Dr. Rice! Loved it.
  • Вселенная Удачников, Роман Злотников / A Universe of Losers, by Roman Zlotnikov. Have had this since my first year in Moscow and even started it years ago. Read and listened to this. Fun story. Didn't help my DLPT, though.
  • Agency, by William Gibson. #2 after The Peripheral. Great book. Watched the series as I was finishing Agency and I can highly recommend it. But read The Peripheral first.
  • Neuromancer, by Gibson. My SIL's choice for our family reading group. She had no idea I was reading another Gibson. This is a sign, thus I'm reading the follow-on to this one (Count Zero) right now.
Books bought:
  • The Lord of the Rings, deluxe illustrated edition. Bought for my wife's birthday. Illustrations by Alan Lee.
  • The Chicago Manual of Style, 17th ed. Will need for a future copyediting class. Handy to have around.
  • The Man Who Walked Like a Bear and The Dog Who Bit a Policeman, by Stuart Kaminsky. Porfiry Rostnikov #6 and #12. Kindle deals for two bucks each.
  • Lone Women, by Victor LaValle. Pre-ordered. Love this author.
  • A Closed and Common Orbit, by Becky Chambers. Wayfarers #2. Loved the first one. Two dollar Kindle deal.
  • The Paris Wife, by Paula McLain. No idea why I bought this. Thought it was for my wife, but now I'm not too sure. 
I haven't written many reviews lately, and that's ok. Just got back from a two-week trip to Namibia. What a beautiful country! Heard one of the famous "click languages": Nama, or Damara or Khoekhoe (pronounced /kway-kway/). Five different clicks. One very nice lady tried to teach the clicks to me. I think I got one or two of them correct. The rest, not so much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

March 2024

 Where'd March go?  Books read: The Man Who Walked Like a Bear , by Stuart Kaminsky. Porfiry Rostnikov number 6. Love this character. Wi...