Sunday, March 20, 2022

Carry On, Jeeves, by PG Wodehouse

 Carry On, Jeeves is one of Wodehouse's Jeeves and Wooster books. This one is 10 short stories, some of which will be familiar if you've seen the excellent A&E series (wow, $250...glad I bought it when I did). All of them are good, as expected. 

Spoilers follow:

Like I said, all good. Every J&W story I've ever read have been first person from Bertie Wooster's POV. Except story #10 in this collection. That one was from Jeeves's POV...and the reader is rewarded with background on how the gentleman's gentleman arranges things for his employer. 

It was unexpected, and wonderful. I don't think they did an episode where Bertie waxes rhapsodically about having a daughter. Well, as I'm sure you can guess, Jeeves dissuades him humorously (I mean: humourously). 

Spoilers done:

This Wodehouse was the March read for the PG Wodehouse Book Club on FB. I didn't have it yet in my preferred Collector's Wodehouse, but I remedied that sitch with the help of Abe Books. Joy added to my library, what what?!



No comments:

Post a Comment

March 2024

 Where'd March go?  Books read: The Man Who Walked Like a Bear , by Stuart Kaminsky. Porfiry Rostnikov number 6. Love this character. Wi...