Saturday, August 7, 2021

3zekiel

 Haven't read much since the last update. Check that: haven't finished much. We're in moving mode as we're transferring to DC soon. Days filled with organizing and getting rid of crap. DD and I did a garage sale to get rid of clothing, books and junk (~1000 pounds? Let's hope). Made almost $500, so that's nice, too. 

I got to pick the latest book in the family book club and I chose 3zekiel (yes, that's a 3). I've been looking around for new (to me) sci-fi authors and found this guy, whose schtick is first contact. This was his first first contact novel so thought I'd give it a try.

Very interesting take on first contact. I'd give it 4 1/2 stars. Some issues with it, like his insistence on the main character calling and thinking of the Seal as a soldier. Also, AFRICOM covers the Congo, not CENTCOM. But otherwise a nice read. 

After that, I wandered a bit trying to find a book to read. Started Dark Star Safari, and while it is very well written, just not in the mood for a travel book now, so moved on. Then tried Greg Iles' Black Cross, which started okay, then within a couple dozen pages got stupid. Read something I've read before (Smilla's Sense of Snow)? Nah. What to read, what to read...

Finally settled on Life After Life, by Kate Atkinson. I loved her A God in Ruins last year and this one is just as good. Her writing is just so perfect, I'll go back to her often.

On the audiobook front, I got SPQR from the library. Been a while since I've read any Classics (subject, not type of lit) and this one is good. I also have a sample by Mary Beard (Confronting the Classics) which may be a future read. 

Kiel Akvo de l'Rivero is going well, if slowly. Again, the move is getting in the way, but I'll keep it going. A bit more than halfway done. 

Swahili is fun. I'm on chapter 2 of Colloquial and it's already getting hard. Which I love. Hate those books where you spend 5-6 lessons just saying hi and ordering a drink. We're already doing a variety of fun things with possessives and verbs. I also got Mpiranya's Grammar book and did the first application exercise. Got a 100%!

2 comments:

  1. Not as prolific reader as you, envious of your ability to dive into so many. Based on your rec from previous posts, downloaded a couple of Kate Atkinsons. Will let you know how it goes. May take awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Joey. Definitely start with A God in Ruins.

      Delete

March 2024

 Where'd March go?  Books read: The Man Who Walked Like a Bear , by Stuart Kaminsky. Porfiry Rostnikov number 6. Love this character. Wi...