Thursday, June 18, 2020

1491: New Revelations of the Americas before Columbus

My wife raves of 1493. When I was looking for a new Audible book, I saw that we had both 1491 and 1493. I couldn't remember which one she preferred, so of course I started with 1491. I was an hour or so into the book before I learned that she liked 1493 better. By then I was already committed, so I continued with 1491. I liked it! 



In general, when talking history, I tend toward earlier rather than later. For example, I'd rather read about classical and medieval history than anything after around 1500 AD. Something about people eeking out an existence without the benefit of modern technology just interests the hell outta me. 

All the civilizations of the Americas, and there were many, interest me. This book describes the intellectual challenges of figuring out what was going on in this hemisphere before Europeans arrived. Archaeological advancements have improved over the years and from those we manage to learn more. 

Now, I'm on to watching Apocalypto. I watched it years ago when it was released. I must admit the languages used in the movie is what had attracted me to the movie originally; having just finished this book is bringing me back to the movie. I'll let you know how it goes!

This Audible credit ($11.50) has brought my 2020 book expenses up to $280.29. For the Dewey Decimal challenge, this is another 900-series book, 970.011 specifically. FWIW, this is the 40th book I've read this year so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So many books...

 ...and even a language! Good Lord I've read so much since last posting! Will post in less than a week my "March 2024" post so...